Corporate Blogs ... to the extreme

Little Green Footballs is a Web design firm in California - one of its members lives in SoCal, the other in NorCal (personally, I think they should duke it out for California supremacy).

The firm also has a Weblog at lgf: whip it out!, but it's not about their business, but rather political views that are pretty pro-Israel and neo-conservative.

I think most people in the blogosphere - particularly in the marketing / communications / public relations blogosphere - will agree that having a Weblog is a great way to communicate to customers, to give opinions and views and help build name recognition for your company.

Personally, I try to keep my political views to myself. I read the O'Dwyer Web site, and find the comments by its members amusing, and once in a while pipe in with my opinion ... with a pseudonym. We're in PR, and it's best to stay neutral, unless you are working in public affairs for one side or the other. And, as anyone that knows me knows, I was a columnist, not a a journalist, at the Arizona Wildcat because, well, I am opinionated. An aside - the nicest compliment I got from the editor was that I would make one of the best journalists to ever come out from that paper ... if I kept my opinion to myself. :-)

But, on LGF (as it's known), the owners are stealth about their postings - you'll notice that they tend to just post stories, make one or two comments, then let the comment folks go nuts. But, it's still pretty inflammatory postings and comments.

This all leads me to a bunch of questions ... how has the Weblog affected the company's business? Has it brought in business, or hurt the company during pitches? Are LGF's competitors using the blog against them in pitches - we all know that the brass knuckles come out during pitches, where each company positions itself above and beyond the competition. I read LGF, agree with some things, disagree with some things, shocked at others and, well, the KISS story made me laugh today ... but I wonder how it all pans out for the company in the end.

As this blog is supposed to be about public relations, it is supposed to mirror the philosophies of POP! Public Relations, or at least present some of my views on public relations, press relations and the state of the industry. I hope that I am able to present that in a pretty fair light, and at the same time amuse and inform and maybe teach others about public relations.

Comments
No comments

Post a Comment