Nine Years of Blogging - And The Voice Doesn't Change

My blog-iversary was July 2.

Nine years of semi-blogging on this Blogger platform that I pretty much refuse to leave, even though I have jspepper.tv to do something with (the eventual idea was to aggregate everything on one page but my About.me page does that well enough anyway). Plus, hard to replace SEO for 9 years.

In the 9 years - yes, 9 years, longer than most other people besides a handful of others - I have seen people come and go. I've seen the "popular" bloggers in public relations turn to social media advocates, and then fall to the side of less importance because they, well, never stuck out their necks on issues or just followed trends. I see the new group of SM bloggers that have risen to the top - some are cream, some are artificial, powdered cream - and while the cream is imparting wisdom, the powdered kind is glomming onto hot topics and rehashing others' posts, with no original content or thinking.

I've also seen the original group of PR bloggers just say fuck-it-all and give up on PR and SM blogging, and start following their other passions. And, well, most of the time I don't blame them. That small group was relatively close, meaning we'd talk and share ideas and information and while somewhat competitive, were a community. Yah, that's pretty much gone nowadays except with a few good people. But that is how media works, and at the end of the day, blogging and social media are ... just media.

So with the past 9 years, what has stayed consistent has been voice. While the focus and topics have varied a bit, the voice has always been the same: saying things that others want to say, but don't. For better or worse - and I'm at least cognizant that it has helped and hurt my career - it's who I am, and pretty much what you see online on Twitter or on the blog is who I am in the real world.

And if you have met me at one of the many Mom conferences I've attended, you've seen that in person. I'll say what I'm thinking, somewhat filtered, but still saying what needs to be said. As one long-time BlogHer and real friend notes, the people that don't like it are the ones that just aren't comfortable with themselves, and that's their problem.

At least that straight-forwardness has lead to a speaking situation. I'll be in Atlanta in October for the Aiming Low Non-Conference, talking about what it's like being straight-forward. It's something that more people should probably do in the space.

So what's next for the blog? It's not like I write that much here, but I do get yelled at by people to write more (yes, I could name drop, but it's not my style) and that what I have to say needs to be said. And, I do want to keep pushing the envelope in PR and social media so need to finish and write more. That's pretty much my promise to the possible audience I have here (although I still write just for a handful of friends).

And there are a lot of posts that will be the usual things that no one is really saying. So what's in the queue and just need to be finished? Things mocking the #PRDefined as an exercise in why PRSA is irrelevant; how community has become a nonsensical term, and abused by people; the battle between "fuck you, pay me" and "hell no, we won't pay" and; how PR has lost its way.

And of course other things that pop up, and need to be addressed.

Will I write these things? I'm going to try, but with all the other things out there - like work - and wanting to blog more on my food blog, it is a challenge to find time for a life/work balance, that includes blogging.

But, well, shit needs to be said - and very few people are saying it publicly, and that's part of the problem. I'll stir it up again.

Hopefully for another 9 years - and maybe on an updated look.
Comments
13 comments
  1. There's too much noise out there already.

    What I figured out was that I was contributing to it.

    When you're in an argument, and the other person won't listen, you have two choices: get LOUDER or get quieter. You'd be surprised how often the latter works.

    So I say less, but when I do people listen, because I say less. And so do you.

    So keep saying those things that need saying, and let other people screech about the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Ike. Honestly, that's one of my biggest problems with the PR industry right now. Too much noise, too much fluff, and not nearly enough substance.

    You are a welcome voice of clarity in the din. Please keep blogging!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your 9 years of blogging and saying things that people balk at! I am one of those people who'd like you to blog more. Your input and guidance have helped me shape what I want to do in social. So thank you and keep doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on nine years, J-Pep. You were definitely one of the first PR bloggers I read and of the few I still follow and respect for taking the unpopular and challenging POV when it's required.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that i have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

    Regards,

    Yan Katsnelson

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed you blog!
    I'm currently going to school for my certificate in public relations and we are learning how valuable blogging can be for PR professionals and businesses. 9 years is such an accomplishment. Your blog really highlights your love of writing and you've given me lots of inspiration for me to keep writing!

    Thanks and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's encouraging to see one's comment on PR work and life, being a PR student. Sometimes we worry about the balance between work and life. When talking about PR, it's always mentioned of its 24*7 work style. At least you make time. That is good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's encouraging to see one's comment on PR work and life, being a PR student. Sometimes we worry about the balance between work and life. When talking about PR, it's always mentioned of its 24*7 work style. At least you make time. That is good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 9 years is an incredible achievement! Congrats on that and best wishes moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've also seen the original group of PR bloggers just say fuck-it-all and give up on PR and SM blogging, and start following their other passions.

    Public Relations

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've also seen the original group of PR bloggers just say fuck-it-all and give up on PR and SM blogging, and start following their other passions. And, well, most of the time I don't blame them.

    Public Relations

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment