Stranger in a Strange Land: My Adventure at BlogHer

This past weekend was BlogHer. I only was able to make it down for the Saturday sessions, but overall, I think it was a great event. In a sentence, it was the most valuable blogging-related event I have attended in the past year.

Now, some might think this is a little overblown, but, well, let them choke on their own bile. The event was how such blogging events should be: the newbies and the veterans getting together to discuss blogging and blogging practices. This is the only time that I have not seen the newbies attacked as idiots or undeserving the veterans attention, but rather working together to make the community better. Let me ask you: is that such a bad thing?

As others have noted, there was hugging and kissing and giggling - but that was pretty much just me, as I tend to hug and kiss people I know hello. And, well, I got to meet a lot of people that I read, but have not seen yet in person, or people that I met at the conference or people that are friends: Nellie Lide, Teresa Valdez Klein, Toby Bloomberg, Susan Getgood, Amy Gahran, Josh Hallett, Erin Caldwell, Robert Scoble, Stacy Libby ... the list goes on and on, and the people that I forgot, I apologize.

And, well, Lisa and Elisa and Jory did a great job - and that's not a shock. Yep, me talking to Jory and Elisa...

Well, read the other posts via Technorati. Check out the fast growing Flickr stream (thanks Josh). The people that weren't there, they just don't get it. They didn't feel the vibe, they didn't see the camaraderie. The show was well-done, it was smartly presented, and people built and supported a community.

Isn't that what blogging is about? Building and supporting the community? Of course. Or, well, maybe not because some people don't like to give up power.

Now, why was I there as a guy? To show off my orange Crocs. Okay, seriously, to me the BlogHer community is one of the most important for my profession. Simply stated. Plus, to find the next Martha Stewart and debate the morality of child outreach. :)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Photo credits: Neezee and Hollyster.
Comments
6 comments
  1. J, I have to laugh at your title. You were certainly no stranger! You seemed right at home, for all the reasons you mentioned. The conference is just as much for men who appreciated the take we offer up on the Blogosphere, from a user perspective, approaching it from the many angles that people blog, not just the technological one. Thanks for getting it.

    Oh, and the shoes were hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it's like I couldn't even hold my head up straight by Saturday evening. Or, I'm tilting my head to see if what you're saying makes more sense when heard sideways ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific post, Jeremy! It's been great to meet you in person twice this summer after reading you all this time. This post is a great example of why I enjoy your blog (and not just because you've got "pop' in the name).

    Love the orange crocs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeremy,
    I just want to reinforce what you said in your post - as exemplified by you. We met during the business blogging session as we shared a few reluctant yawns because of our previous late nights.

    I'm new to the whole blogging scene and am desparately trying to understand it. The support from veterans and the company of the newbies was so encouraging. I was unable to come to the Friday session and arrived late on Saturday and felt slightly out of place until you approached me and welcomed me to the ranks of bloggers. After that, I was more comfortable and allowed the BlogHer environment to begin to educate and inspire me.

    Thanks for the warm welcome and for promoting the BlogHer community. The word really needs to get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeremy - for all your 'snarkiness' you really do get it! I promise not to tell anyone that you have heart ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was really different about BlogHer v other blogging conferences?

    Not to be sexist, but maybe women *should* be in charge more. (The good ol' boys and their glass ceilings do get in the way.) Most guys -- enough, that is -- have too much ego to have the vets really share insight with the newbies.

    -- Mike

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment