NASCAR and the New Yorker - Why Don't More People Get It?!?

Man, oh manischewitz! It's been too long since I updated the blog! But, like the last blog I wrote, it's been very, very hectic at POP! Public Relations.

Besides the regular client work, the new business pitches, and becoming a collections agency for an account in arrears ... well, I guess that really doesn't leave much time for anything else. But, did read an amazing article in the New Yorker on NASCAR. In my past jobs, I have had calls from NASCAR to sponsor cars or other events, but the marketing women at the companies did not get the reach of NASCAR. It's amazing the amount of money, and the economic standing of the fans. I think that's the biggest mistake about NASCAR - it's not all trailor parks.

I have been arguing with IABC and trying to get my membership money back. I was under the impression that IABC, beyond networking and professional development, was actually about trying to improve the view of public relations to the public itself. To try to make people think that PR is not like Phone Booth, but is a real profession. So, I was hoping that being a member of IABC would be a like a lobbying group, raising the awareness in a state that is very lacking in an understanding of public relations. Oh, what a fool am I.

Okay, going back to doing research on Bacon's MediaSource for a new business pitch for another possible POP! client, and will post more later this week.
Comments
No comments

Post a Comment